Presidential Task Force on Addressing Antisemitism
The Presidential Task force on Addressing Antisemitism was launched in spring 2021 in response to regional and national attacks on members of the Jewish community, including those in Pittsburgh, Jersey City, and Chabad of Poway in San Diego County, as well as bias-motivated incidents on and around the SDSU campus.
According to the Anti-Defamation League, since tracking began in the late 1970s, the Jewish community experienced the highest level of antisemitic incidents in 2019. SDSU is committed to improving our campus culture to ensure that all Jewish students, faculty and staff feel welcomed, supported and respected.
Purpose and Activities
Part of SDSU’s ongoing efforts to embed diversity and inclusion in everything that we do includes condemning antisemitism and working in solidarity with our Jewish community.
Priorities for Presidential Task force on Addressing Antisemitism include the following actions:
- Creating a protocol for responding to antisemitism in collaboration with Inclusive SDSU.
- Assessing opportunities to address antisemitism across the curriculum.
- Providing recommendations on content related to antisemitism and creating a safe and supportive environment for Jewish students in New Student Orientation, and onboarding for faculty and staff
- Identifying opportunities to improve campus climate.
- Amplifying accomplishments of SDSU’s Jewish students, faculty and staff throughout the year.
- Increasing awareness of campus-wide events that promote learning about Jewish culture, history and diversity.
- Producing an annual report on incidents of antisemitism along with the activities of the task force.
The Presidential Task Force on Addressing Antisemitism is a multi-discipline body composed of faculty and staff.
J. Luke Wood, Ph.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs and Campus Diversity, Co-Chair
Jessica L. Nare
Assistant Vice President for Community and Belonging
- Dani Bedau, Associate Professor, School of Theatre, Television, and Film
- David Cline, Professor of History
- Tammy Gillies, ADL (Anti-Defamation League) San Diego, Regional Director
- Jonathan Graubart, Professor of Political Science
- Rabbi Chalom Boudjnah, Chabad
- Peter C. Herman, Professor of English Literature
- Susanne Hillman, Lecturer in History
- David Kamper, Associate Professor and Chair of American Indian Studies
- Risa Levitt, Hebrew Bible and Judaism Professor, Chair, Department for the Study of Religion, Chair, Classics & Humanities Department, Director, Jewish Studies Program
- Yiftach Levy, Information Technology Consultant, IT User Services
- Mara Parker, Public Affairs Specialist for the School of Art + Design
- Karen Parry, Executive Director, Hillel of San Diego
- Rabbi Devorah Marcus, Temple Emanu-El
- Elana Metz, Graduate student representative
- Rabbi Scott Meltzer, Lecturer in Religious Studies
- Sophie Parker, Student representative from Jewish Studies
- Norah Shultz, Professor of Sociology and Director of Inclusive Curriculum, Division of Student Affairs & Campus Diversity
- Ari Weizman, Student representative from Associate Students
- Scott Walter, Dean, University Library